Monday, December 15, 2008

graduations, lots of food, and matagalpa

These past couple of weeks have been pretty busy. Contrary to my most recent posts, where the highlights of my days were the half-hour walks to the internet cafe and doing laundry (yes, really), I have made some more friends here and been invited to a number of events. First, I went to a couple of graduation ceremonies and parties, one in which I was introduced and got to sit (awkwardly) up in front with the other teachers. The graduations here take place in the churches (separation of church and state?) so that´s something quite different than you´d see in the states. Àlso, they do graduations for preschool, 6th grade, and high school. Everyone is accompanied by a family member/friend as they enter into the church and their name is read 3 times throughout the ceremony (when they walk in, get their diploma, and leave), making it painfully longer than it needs to be. But it was definitely a new and interesting cultural experience. I have also been visiting with many of the teachers with whom I´ll be working, and have been invited to lunch and dinner with some of them on several occasions. I feel like I´m practically never eating at home, which makes a nice change to the usual rice, beans, and tortilla. I´ve been actively looking for a house so that I can move out as soon as my 6-week minimum host family living requirement is up, and have found a couple of options - just waiting to speak with the owners and hopefully I´ll be set! Lastly, I went to Matagalpa this weekend with the women´s soccer team to watch their departmental championship game (which they won...by a lot). Let´s just say the competition really isn´t there, which is unfortunate because I see the team having a huge potential to grow and improve. They don´t practice regularly and with jobs and other responsibilities they barely play. But I wanted to go to the game to introduce myself to the players and possibly work with them as a trainer in the future. Starting up a women´s soccer team was one of my goals before I came here, and although a team already exists, I would still love to have the chance to work with them. Other than that, just taking each day at a time and trying to continually work on forming a youth group and getting a tree nursery started. The concept of keeping to a schedule doesn´t really exist here so it´s been hard to get much accomplished working hand-in-hand with the mayor´s office. Keep the letters, emails, and phone calls coming - all are always much appreciated! Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

great post! does the soccer team have a name? what has been the best new food you've tasted since you've been there?

Carolyn said...

no team name, just the name of the town.

pithaya is prob one of my fav foods here. its a type of fruit thats a rich purple/red color with spine-like things on the outside. see if u can find it in the supermarket there, although i doubt it. sooo good in drinks!!