Today is Day 2 in my site and I have officially been sworn-in as a volunteer! We had our swearing-in ceremony on Thursday at the American embassy where we met the US ambassador. Unfortunately, our host families were unable to come due to all of the political violence that´s been going on, particularly in Managua, with the municipal election fraud. It was kind of sad not having the chance to have a big goodbye with them, but I hope to visit when I can.
This Thursday a couple of us are getting together in my department to celebrate Thanksgiving. I´ll get to see what the departmental capital of Matagalpa is like, and will be setting up my PO box, so keep a look out for a new mailing address!!!
So like I´ve said, it´s day 2 in my site and I´ve been trying to tackle any difficulties that may arise. For example, I already know that my host family situation is not ideal, and my room is incredibly depressing, so upon arriving I immediately put up photos on the wall and tried to lighten up the mood. I´m trying to keep a busy schedule for myself, with week-by-week goals and an agenda of what I need to do for every month. It probably sounds really cheesy, but I think staying organized will keep me busy and not allow me to lose sight of what I´m here for. Although I´m not allowed to leave overnight for the first 3 months, I´m hoping to be able to make some day trips here and there to visit other volunteers and go to Matagalpa. It´s the little things that I think will make this service successful and more enjoyable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment